Saturday, May 24, 2008

Today I hate Uganda

Yesterday (Friday) I was really tired from a long week, so I decided to go to bed early. Unfortunately, the Gulu Bible Church across the road had other plans, and decided to sing off-key hymns to Jesus for a good 8 hours (yes, even in the middle of the night). I had finally drifted off to sleep, when my phone rang. Then it rang again 30 minutes later. Then I had to wrong numbers. Then two text messages. (I’m not nearly as popular as this sounds.) Eventually I decided to turn off my phone and hoped that I would wake up of my own accord, without the cell phone alarm. Luckily for me, I did around 6am when my mosquito net collapsed upon me. At that point I had enough of trying to rest, and got up. I went and got my water basin so that I could ‘shower,’ and discovered a nice big, fat rat swimming circles in it. And he wasn’t cute like Otim Mickey.

I asked Bonnie to take it outside, but he refused and insisted on drowning it instead. So I stared at the wall for a while, in the other room, pretending that it wasn’t happening.

Super duper!

3 comments:

Alisma said...

Poor Otim Templeton!

Vivian said...

You know, right about now, after reading your latest entry, I have an urge to Fedex you some industrial size boxes of chicken soup and crackers. Can I? Or would it be foolish.

Letha said...

Oh, that is sweet. I would say yes because I would murder someone for some crackers right now, but I fear that by the time you send them they won't reach me in time. So send me crackers in spirit.